Thursday, April 1, 2010

Power outage in Ramara last night. Were you affected?

Last night there was a power outage that left over 6000 homes in cottage country without electricity, including mine. It occured around dinner time and continued til into the wee hours of the morning. Due to being 'plugged in' all the time this was noticed immediately!

When the power went out it was like the world just went quiet. You could hear every sound that went by unnoticed minutes before. Time seemed to stand still as I gathered my thoughts on what to do next? Both my business and personal life involve electricity, unless I'm on a camping trip. Looking around last night, I clearly wasn't camping.

Within a half hour of having no electricity I noticed people of all ages started buzzing around outside. There were kids on bikes, folks doing yard work, families going on walks together. How interesting that it takes a power outage for people to realize there's a whole other world outside. A world that for me I seem to see less and less of the more I stay 'plugged in'. Is your life the same?

To whom it may concern, thanks for the gentle reminder! The lesson from the Blackout in 2003! had been overlooked. I guess I just love being able to turn on or off whatever I choose and not being able to was a reminder to...

- buy more candles (and not those crappy ones from the dollar stores, they suck).
- find the battery powered lantern that's around here somewhere.
- have dry snacks, bottled water on hand and don't open the fridge unless you have to.
- have a non-cordless phone plugged in at all times. The cordless phone base runs on power!  
- put the Province wide emergency phone # to Hydro One on my fridge 1-800-434-1235
- not take power for granted, it can be taken away at anytime!

I'm not sure what caused last night's outage but hopefully it was due to technical difficulties not someone being hurt. And to Hydro One, thanks for getting the power back on just as soon as you could!

2 comments:

JettaGirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JettaGirl said...

Note to self; Yes, the delete is permanent just like it said (ooops)....thanks for commenting, I'm glad you are enjoying the read ;)